On Oct. 2, 2023, New York State (NYS) Governor Kathy Hochul announced the launch of a Nonprofit Infrastructure Capital Investment Program (NICIP) that will offer a minimum total of $60 million in capital grant funding to support the delivery of critical services to New Yorkers.
The program’s funding targets capital investments for construction and/or technology projects that will improve or maintain the quality, efficiency and accessibility of nonprofit human services organizations.
A “rolling” application period is scheduled to be open Dec. 1, 2023-Jan. 12, 2024, with an anticipated award date starting Feb. 29, 2024. Eligible not-for-profits may submit applications for grants between $50,000 and $500,000. The eligibility criteria and key deadlines are outlined below. Interested applicants can contact Mazars for additional details and information.
Organizations can apply for the NICIP if they meet all the following eligibility criteria:
- They’re registered with NYS’ “Grants Gateway” and are prequalified
- They’re a human services organization as defined by the program
- They provide direct services in NYS to individuals and families residing in NYS
- Previous NICIP grant awardees can apply only under specific circumstances
- They haven’t received and aren’t receiving any other funding from NYS for the same project
- They have or will have site control over the project location at the time of application
Eligible projects must meet the following criteria:
- Must be an eligible construction or technology project (e.g., renovation or expansion of space used for direct program services; modifications to enhance sustainability and energy efficiency resulting in cost and energy savings; and technology upgrades)
- Cannot have started, nor the costs be incurred, prior to April 1, 2023
- Must be completed, and all payment requisitions processed, by Dec. 31, 2026
- Cannot have been funded in whole or in part by other funding from NYS
Contact us to discuss potential funding opportunities and how your organization can best prepare for the grant application process.
The information provided here is for general guidance only, and does not constitute the provision of tax advice, accounting services, investment advice, legal advice, or professional consulting of any kind. The information provided herein should not be used as a substitute for consultation with professional tax, accounting, legal or other competent advisers.